Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Preparation...




I think I picked a good week to try this challenge.  My supermarket is having a big sale on a lot of items, many of which are $1 each.  At this sale, I can get at least two different kinds of meat, pasta by the box and sauce, which may also include meat.  It may not be the kind of meat we are used to, but it is meat.  This is the challenge a family living below the poverty line faces.  Feed them lower quality food, or don’t feed them. 
There are some sales on fresh produce this week as well.  A head of iceberg lettuce is $0.99!  Vidalia onions are also the same price, per pound.  Bananas are $0.59 per pound, and can be used for snacks or meals. 
Canned peas, corn and green beans are part of the 10 for $10 sale, and a can of peas will feed my family of 5 with some leftover for the next day.  Chef Boyardee canned foods are also 10 for $10, and they claim to contain part of the daily servings of vegetables.  Some are even made with whole grains.  In a pinch, these will work, but I worry about the sodium levels. 
As I scour the circular for foods, I’m noticing that I may be able to make this work, but that we won’t be able to eat healthy for the week or get the items we are accustomed to having.
For instance, I’ve developed lactose intolerance, so I’ve started drinking almond milk.  That won’t fly this week because it is too expensive.  My son is a picky eater, and will only eat certain foods like baby ravioli.  He might be missing out on a few meals this week. 
So I’m working on my list, which I will share in the coming days.  I’d love some feedback on the selections I’ve made. 

Also, if you are interested in taking the Below The Line Challenge, visit this website

No comments:

Post a Comment