Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A challenge has been posed...

I received an email today that suggested I take part in the Below the Line Challenge.

https://www.livebelowtheline.com/us

The challenge is supposed to raise awareness for Global Poverty, noting that people who live below the poverty line live on less than $1.50 a day for food.  So for 5 days, participants use that amount to feed themselves.

I'm a bit skeptical about doing this, but also I'm a bit excited to see if I can meet the challenge and what doing the challenge will teach me.  I've got three young children who eat a ton.  As I type this, my son is eating fruit loops cereal that he spilled on the floor.  At least he's not wasteful.

But feeding them on $150 a week is challenging, now you want me to take 1% of that number to feed each of us per day?  Daunting, yes.  Impossible?  Not sure.

So I've decided to take on the challenge.  I'll be honest and tell you that this will work in theory, but it may not work in practice.  I would have to completely take every piece of food out of my house and give it away for my kids NOT to find the food we've got lying around.  And we've got lots.  So I'm going to make up a shopping list for the five days.  I'm going to make up a daily menu and blog about each day.  I'm going to do my best to stick to that list for the kids.

Though it may not be exactly as the challenge asks, I'm sure any effort taken is going to make me and my family more aware of poverty in this world.  And that's really the point, isn't it?

So join me on this journey, which will start, for me, on Friday April 26th.  The actual challenge starts on April 29, but personal commitments prevent me from starting on that date.

Wish me luck, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment