Saturday, April 18, 2015

Fit and Tasty...

Every once in a while I crave a good German meal.  I guess because I'm about 51% German heritage that makes sense. 

So this week I decided to make a nice kielbasa with sauerkraut meal.  Reminds me of my mother's mother. 

Luckily, I found a nice turkey kielbasa at Aldi's on my shopping trip.



It was German week, so there were all kinds of German products on sale.  Including a big jar of sauerkraut.  I paired my German specialties with some spinach that I sautéed in chicken broth, and some baby carrots, all of which were purchased at Aldi's. 

Here's the finished product. 

 
 
 
I was skeptical about the taste of the kielbasa because I had never tried the Fit & Active brand before.  But it looked good, smelled good and even tasted good after I cooked it in the sauerkraut.  Normally, when I buy heat and eat foods, I get bombarded with salt, but this product was definitely not overly salty.  It had a crisp bite to the meat and it wasn't too dry or too wet.  I was impressed with this product and will definitely purchase it again. 
 
 
 
Here's the cost breakdown for the meal:
 
Total Cost                              My Meal Cost
 
Kielbasa  $ 2.39                     $0.60
 
Sauerkraut  $1.69                   $0.22
 
Spinach       $1.79                   $0.90
 
Chicken Broth $0.49               $0.25
 
Carrots        $0.49                  $0.10
 
 
TOTALS:  $6.85                     $2.07
 
 
 
I cooked the meal intending to feed 4 of my 5 family members. (I have an Autistic son who only eats chicken nuggets, pizza, eggs and a few other things, so I generally don't factor him into my count for meals)  Unfortunately, that night 3 of the four of us who were going to eat were sick.  So I had the meal alone, giving myself a little bit extra, and saving about half for leftovers.  Numbers are approximate, but again, for $6.85 I could conceivably feed a family of 4 a meal that consisted of a healthy protein and 3 vegetables. 
 
I've also found a new, less expensive version of a product a normally buy that has less of the processed meat taste.   It's a win win in my book.
 
Stay tuned!  I've got more recipes, more product reviews and more tips for shopping at Aldi's coming up. 
 
You can find me at twitter, @camp3082 and on facebook, Toni Smith.  Thanks for reading!

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment