Monday, April 13, 2015

April is Aldi Month...

A few weeks (could it be months?) ago, I said that I would take on the challenge of shopping exclusively at Aldi for my families groceries.  Well ladies and gents, week one of that challenge has begun!

This Saturday, I spent a quick trip shopping at my local Aldi store, located in Plattsburgh, NY.  And by quick I mean run through the aisles with my ASD son in the cart hoping to get everything I needed.  Well, I did.  Almost.  The few things I left off the list I picked up today, bringing my grand total of shopping to just under $120.  For a family of five.  For a week. 

Now, I wanted to be as authentic as possible, so I bought things that I would need for the week even though they were already in my pantry; things such as cereal, some canned goods and other items.  I did NOT buy condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo) because those things have a shelf life and I didn't want to open a new container when I had one at home.  Same goes for some of the vegetables I already have in my crisper (Brussels sprouts for dinner tonight!)  Some items I could not purchase at Aldi, like the meal replacement shakes my husband and I enjoy for breakfast or the particular brand of yogurt I enjoy.  Those items I picked up at my usual place.  Just a caveat to my methods, friends.

What I DID buy is listed on my receipt:



But if you don't have magnifying spectacles, he's the rundown:

Meats/Dairy
     - 1 package of 16 ground beef hamburgers
     - 1 package of turkey kielbasa
     - 1 package of chicken breasts (3 breasts in pack)
     - 1 package of 80/20 ground beef (approximately 2.25 lbs)
     - 1 pack of turkey sausages
     - 1 16" cheese pizza
     - 1 package roast beef
     - 1 package shredded cheese
     - 1 package frozen chicken nuggets
     - 1 container Parmesan cheese

Fresh Vegetables/fruit
     - 6 bananas
     - 1 package mushrooms
     - 1 bag baby carrots
     - 1 package of green peppers (3 in pack)
     - 2 packages of zucchini (3 in each)
     - 1 package cucumbers (3 in pack)
     - 1 bag fresh spinach
     - 1 bag spring mix salad
     - 1 medium sized seedless watermelon
    
Canned Goods/Dried Goods
     - 1 can corn
     - 1 jar sauerkraut
     - 1 can tropical fruit salad
     - 1 can sliced beets
     - 1 bag dried lentils
     - 2 cans black beans
     - 1 package whole grain spaghetti
     - 2 cans chicken broth
     - 1 large can organic diced tomatoes

I was also able to purchase snack items for my children (to go in their lunches as well as eat at home) and myself and my husband.  Also, I purchased what I call go-along items for my meals: hamburger buns, taco seasoning.  Round the order out with a bottle of juice and that's what we got for our $120.

I was surprised that I spent that much money, but I had never purchased meats at Aldi before, so that is probably where most of my money went. 

It would have helped me to get to know the store before shopping, as I missed some of my essentials the first time around (couldn't find the tomatoes or chicken broth on the first go).

I would be open to switching brands of items I use (like the yogurt and shakes) as long as it was cost effective, which is really the basis behind this whole "challenge" (if you want to call it that).

I'm excited to see what I can do with these vittles this week.  I will post pictures and recipes for each dinner meal I make, complete with what I used. 

www.aldi.us has an AMAZING box of recipes.  I found a yummy zucchini roll up recipe online that I can't wait to try out. 

Wish  me luck friends!  Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment