Friday, February 11, 2011

Saving money vs value for what you pay for...

So on our quest to save money, I've been trying to cut corners in the food budget, since that's where nearly 1/4 of our money is spent each month (that includes formula, fresh fruit and veggies and various sundry items)

It's a hard thing to do, after you're used to walking into a grocery store and picking up anything and everything you want. Having to shop sales, using coupons and even buying ... less quality items. For instance meats.

I grew up eating very little chop meat. My mother is not a fan of any chopped meat, unless it was high quality. To this day I don't know the difference between chuck, ground round and sirloin. We're not big steak eaters, so it didn't really matter. Occasionally I like a nice hamburger though, so I do buy chop meat. Usually I pick up the 93 % lean meat. Now that we've started scrimping, the percent lean number is slowly decreasing. It started with 90%, then wobbled down to 85% and most recently, I bought a ginourmous package of 80%.

Spending $12 for approximately 3.25 pounds of meat, I am able to get at least 3 meals out of that price, making the grand total for meat per meal about $4 dollars per meal. Had I bought the 93%, the cost of the meat goes up a lot. The question is, do you sacrifice the quality of the food to save the money? I'd like to think not, but it isn't always the case.

The opportunity comes up occasionally to buy meat that must be used on or frozen by the date of the day you buy it. This means the meat was packaged a day or two ago and the store can't guarantee the quality of the meat. Usually they take a dollar or so off the price but I can't always find this. I dont' want to affect my family's health because we can't afford the best choices like lean mean, fresh fruit and healthy items. But it's a struggle, and I'm learning.

Tonight, I used the 80% chop mean. I added a lot of garlice, thyme and pepper. I also added a hearty serving of vegetables. They counter each other right?

Here's what I made: (this recipe at one time or another will appear in my column The Budget Chef in Jill Magazine, www.jillmagonline.com. Check it out!)

Toni's Puttanesca Pasta
(Puttanseca comes from the word Puttana, which in Italian means "whore" pretty awesome)

1 pound ground beef
2-3 TBSP minced garlic (your taste, your choice)
1/2 onion diced
1 large carrot sliced
1 zucchini diced
1/2 parsnip
2 small cans tomato sauce
pepper and salt to taste

Directions
In a large skillet heat up garlic and onion. Brown ground beef in skillet till done. Add other veggies and cook for approximately 7-10 minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer for a spell. Add some water to mixture if needed. If you like it thick, no water, if you want more of a sauce consistency, I'd add more tomato sauce. Serve over pasta. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. We have a very strict food budget every month, and I never pay full price for meat. I always buy the reduced for quick sale, meaning it's about to go past it's sell by date. I have been doing this for years, and have never gotten sick from it. The meat is fine, as long as you freeze it and use it the day you thaw it out. I also try to only buy the 85% or leaner, but sometimes, the 75% makes the best burger...they say a little fat in a burger is a good thing. I also do the same with chicken and pork...I can't remember the last time I paid full price for meat.

    ReplyDelete