Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wedding Bells...

Nearly ten years ago, I married my best friend. *HURL* Haha. Just kidding. Though ten years ago I did marry my husband, who for the most part is a decent guy. WE've always exchanged presents for our anniversary, but this year, considering our finances, we're both a little leery on the idea of buying presents. Though I must say, he was THINKING of buying me a tennis bracelet and the thought alone makes up for NOT having the money to get it.

We talked about possibly me getting a kindle since I love to read, and him since he loves to drum getting some drum equipment. He was hesitant and said "but we dont' have any money." I agreed and suggested we "make" each other gifts. Not like macaroni art or anything cool like that, but more like using our innate talents to come up with something cool.

He's a musician, I suggested he write me a song. I, budding literarian that I am, said that I would write him a poem. All free gifts, things we would spend time working on, but not money. I thought it was a nice idea, but he was all like " I can't write a song. I never finish them." So, instead of writing his own, I suggested he learn to play the drum part of one of my favorites, "Hotel California". This way I could have my secret fantasy of singing in front of a group of people with out the people. Stage fright sucks.

He laughed it off, but I think the idea of making gifts might stick. We had Christmas this year and went cheap for the kids, buying clothes on clearance, toys at the dollar store etc. If we are serious on this quest to get out of debt, we've got to be more creative in what we choose to give each other.

I'm going to go work on my "Ode to Derik" now...

1 comment:

  1. Dh and I don't really do anniversery gifts, just a special dinner. At home or not. So I did not feel guilty about going crazy on our ten year.


    If it was any other anniversery I would suggest an Irish limerick simply based on his fb comments, your DH comes off as a bit of a funny wise**s. I am sure that is one reason why you were smitten enough to marry him. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete